Staff Appointments I know I’d originally intended to hold applications through the end of the month, but, like others before me, I always reserve the right to appoint people early if the right applications come across my desk. As I feel the two “...
I know I’d originally intended to hold applications through the end of the month, but, like others before me, I always reserve the right to appoint people early if the right applications come across my desk. As I feel the two “right” applications have done so, I’d like to formally welcome Xolarin and Laren Uscot to the Wiki staff! Xolarin is new to the Brotherhood, but brings a great deal of experience working with mediawiki in other online club environments. Laren brings less mediawiki savvy, but instead experience in the kind of projects that the wiki is often tasked with: preservation of historic information on past events (You might remember his being awarded WOTM for that work at the beginning of the month). Xolarin will be taking over the Project:Accessibility work to revamp Clan category ToC’s, while Laren will be spearheading the always ongoing archival projects.
Thanks so much to everyone that applied, and just remember that just because you weren’t selected this time around doesn’t mean that your application wasn’t welcome, or that you shouldn’t give it another try the next time around!
This is a quick update specifically around updates to the structure, content, and policy regarding the awarding of Clusters of Ice. In reaction to much of the feedback collected over the past year in reviewing competitions, to how Clusters of Ice...
This is a quick update specifically around updates to the structure, content, and policy regarding the awarding of Clusters of Ice. In reaction to much of the feedback collected over the past year in reviewing competitions, to how Clusters of Ice are awarded for activities and structural changes to the site.
Updated wiki document link is here: Cluster of Ice Wiki page
Summary of Changes
Star Wars Requirements: Added a requirement that encompasses all Cluster of Ice generating activities regarding being Star Wars and also require story and realism grading elements.
Fiction Archtype: Wiki page updated structure to specifically address Fiction Archetype competitions as a major category of CI generating opportunities.
Poetry Requirements: Added specific language to better identify what type of poetry competitions will be approved to award Cluster of Ice.
Word Count Reviews: Added language to the wiki regarding need for organizers to review word counts automatically calculated by the site, and the subsequent Voice staff review.
Bonus Clusters: Added language to specifically comment on allowing certain positions to, at their discretion, award bonus clusters of ice for activities.
Dark Councilor Fiction: To address a gap between Brotherhood fiction, and Clan level fiction, I have added language to cover what is already being done where a specific Dark Councilor can release fiction relative to their position and staff and have that effort rewarded with Clusters of Ice.
Antei Combat Center CI Awarding: Changed the formula for awarding Clusters of Ice for ACC battles, increasing it from 0.5 clusters of ice per post per combatant that doesn’t time out to 1.5 clusters of ice. With a 33% bonus to the winner. This update will be effective for all matches judged after the SCL gets the coding updated on the site following the release of this change.
ACC Site Logic: Added language to the Cluster of Ice page to discuss partial awarding, and timed out battle awarding for added documentation and transparency.
Voice of the Brotherhood
Just a short mid-month update here, where I’m trying to get some more slaves for the wiki mines. Staff Openings First, I would be remiss if I didn’t recognize the contributions of the two outgoing staffers Andrelious J. Mimosa-Inahj and Kalon...
Just a short mid-month update here, where I’m trying to get some more slaves for the wiki mines.
First, I would be remiss if I didn’t recognize the contributions of the two outgoing staffers Andrelious J. Mimosa-Inahj and Kalon Tsucyra Entar. Both of them provided excellent service to the staff and the Brotherhood at large, doing much of the work to help the Wiki (and the fictional reality it documents) along into the new, post-Force Awakens reality. They’ve both made outstanding contributions, and I thank them both for their continued efforts!
So, I come before you today to announce that there are two shiny, attractive spots on the Wiki Staff that are now open for applications. I like to provide continued opportunities for people to serve (and give back) and also get more wiki-knowledge out there. These positions are an excellent way to develop skills and a portfolio of work that look great as you move forward in the Brotherhood, and can help spruce up medal or promo recommendations when your Clan leaders get down to writing them.
Some of the duties I’ll be specifically tasking new staffers with include, but are not limited to:
- Patrolling recent changes for wiki formatting and content concerns
- Monitoring the Mainteinence reports and updating as required
- Assisting in updating the Categories system to reflect the new categorization model
- Creating article content to archive Brotherhood event information
- Assisting on the Legends project to help move old, Legends-based content to the Legends section
- Various long term projects
If you feel like joining the wiki staff is something you'd be interested in, applications will be open until Sunday, July 31st. Please send an email to me with the subject "Wiki Staff Application" and outline your experience and any examples of your work (either on our wiki or elsewhere). I would prefer that applicants have passed at least the Wiki Basics course if not Wiki Editing as well, but exceptions to that will be made for the right candidate. There is no minimum rank requirement, but familiarity with the Brotherhood and the Wiki is a plus.
Here is the official schedule of events from StarWars.com Friday, July 15 * 11:00 a.m. BST / 6:00 a.m. EDT / 3:00 a.m. PDT | Star Wars Show Live! – Friday Preview * 11:30 a.m. BST / 6:00 a.m. EDT / 3:00 a.m. PDT | An Hour With Mark Hamill * 1:00...
Here is the official schedule of events from StarWars.com
Friday, July 15
- 11:00 a.m. BST / 6:00 a.m. EDT / 3:00 a.m. PDT | Star Wars Show Live! – Friday Preview
- 11:30 a.m. BST / 6:00 a.m. EDT / 3:00 a.m. PDT | An Hour With Mark Hamill
- 1:00 p.m. BST / 8:00 a.m. EDT / 5:00 a.m. PDT | Ahsoka's Untold Tales
- 2:00 p.m. BST / 9:00 a.m. EDT / 6:00 a.m. PDT | ILM Presents: Star Wars Archeology
- 3:45 p.m. BST / 10:45 a.m. EDT / 7:45 a.m. PDT | Star Wars Show Live! – Rogue One Panel Preview
- 4:00 p.m. BST / 11:00 a.m. EDT / 8:00 a.m. PDT | Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- 5:00 p.m. BST / 12:00 p.m. EDT / 9:00 a.m. PDT | Star Wars Show Live! – Rogue One Reaction
Saturday, July 16
- 10:00 a.m. BST / 5:00 a.m. EDT / 2:00 a.m. PDT | Star Wars Show Live! – Saturday Preview
- 10:15 a.m. BST / 5:15 a.m. EDT / 2:15 a.m. PDT | The Droids of The Force Awakens
- 12:00 p.m. BST / 7:00 a.m. EDT / 4:00 a.m. PDT | The Creatures, Droids & Aliens of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- 1:00 p.m. BST / 8:00 a.m. EDT / 5:00 a.m. PDT | Keeping Up With The Fetts
- 2:00 p.m. BST / 9:00 a.m. EDT / 6:00 a.m. PDT | Anthony Daniels, Without Protocol
- 4:00 p.m. BST / 11:00 a.m. EDT / 8:00 a.m. PDT | Star Wars Rebels Season 3
- 5:00 p.m. BST / 12:00 a.m. EDT / 9:00 a.m. PDT | Marvel’s Star Wars Comic Books
- 6:00 p.m. BST / 1:00 p.m. EDT / 10:00 a.m. PDT | MEET ILMxLAB: The Future of Immersive Entertainment
- 7:00 p.m. BST / 2:00 p.m. EDT / 11:00 a.m. PDT | The Minds Behind EA’s Star Wars Games
Sunday, July 17
- 10:00 a.m. BST / 5:00 a.m. EDT / 2:00 a.m. PDT | Star Wars Show Live! – Sunday Preview, Tiya Sircar
- 10:15 a.m. BST / 5:15 a.m. EDT / 2:15 a.m. PDT | 2016 Star Wars Fan Film Awards Ceremony
- 11:00 a.m. BST / 6:00 a.m. EDT / 3:00 a.m. PDT | Carrie Fisher: The Princess Diaries
- 12:00 p.m. BST / 7:00 a.m. EDT / 4:00 a.m. PDT | Lucasfilm: The Art of Storytelling
- 1:00 p.m. BST / 8:00 a.m. EDT / 5:00 a.m. PDT | Ray Park Unleashed
- 4:00 p.m. BST / 11:00 a.m. EDT / 8:00 a.m. PDT | Closing Ceremony
Sizzle reel for Rogue One released at SWCE
Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Trailer
Grand Admiral Thrawn Returns to Canon
Introduction Between grad school, a week in Salt Lake City, and some birthday shenanigans (this might have been said... a bunch) I've been a bit quiet this past month. I'm happy to report that the best Praetor in the DB (sorry to the rest...
Between grad school, a week in Salt Lake City, and some birthday shenanigans (this might have been said... a bunch) I've been a bit quiet this past month. I'm happy to report that the best Praetor in the DB (sorry to the rest of you), Marcus, has really stepped up to be a rock star for me, though. The audit has slowed down a bit but we're still making solid progress, and by next month I think we'll be in a good position to start working on some of the streamlining and upgrades I'm planning for the Shadow Academy. Life is pretty good aboard the Victory II-Class Star Destroyer Paladin - y'know, where the SA is right now.
Now Hiring: Magistrates
At the beginning of this year, Bubba instituted a Magistrate policy similar to that of the MAA's office where the two M:HMs would serve six month terms. Alishu and Mateus Kelborn (better known as Mirus) have been fantastic Magistrates for Bubba and now for me, but their six months expire next week. It's for that reason that I'm looking to hire two new Magistrates to serve for the next six months. M:HM is an important position within the Shadow Academy structure, especially now, because these are some of our primary course authors/editors/auditors. We are in the middle of a massive overhaul of almost every single course in the SA, so I need two individuals willing to work hard and that care about putting out excellent content. I'm not about half-assing things, and I expect my M's to feel the same way. To apply, send an email to both myself and Marcus (if you don't send it to both I'm going to assume you can't follow directions and toss your application). We want to know why you want this position and why you think you can do it. We'll be taking applications until July 19th, with the announcement of the new Magistrates to happen when I wake up on the 20th.
Specific requirements are:
- No minimum rank, but preference will go to someone below EQ2.
- 24 hour email turn-around time, with sub-12 strongly preferred. Telegram presence is preferred as well, even though I can't make it mandatory.
- Strong grasp of the English language and comfort in researching, editing, and writing content.
- No history of plagiarism or SA-related Justicar offenses.
Now Hiring: Course Writer
The MAA-formerly-known-as Aabs and I have been working on paring down and updating the Galactic History courses for some time, and we're making headway. What we've discovered we need, though, is a new post-RotJ course; our previous one dealt with the Vong, which thank Lucas is no longer canon. Because of that, we're looking for someone to come on to research and write a new course in the style of the previous Galactic History courses. This will also serve as an audition, essentially, to take over the Professorship of the History Department (because there's some other courses we're eyeing to be created there as well). If you're applying for Magistrate, you're welcome to apply for this in the same email. Applications must again go to Marcus and myself, and we'll be taking them until the 19th with announcement the following day just like with the M's.
Specific requirements are:
- No minimum or maximum rank.
- 24 hour email turn-around time (this is an audition for PROF, after all).
- Strong grasp of the English language and comfort in researching, editing, and writing content.
An idea that I've been kicking around for a few weeks is running regular competitions for Journeymen only - fiction, puzzles, gaming, etc. To gauge interest in that, I've created a fiction competition and encourage all Journeymen to participate. The competition is running from July 15th until July 29th and will award CIs as well as second-level Crescents. As a bonus, Marcus and I will provide feedback for each entry. Important note: these are JM-only competitions, so anyone ranked EQ1 or above when they submit their entry will be disqualified. If you submit as a JM4 and are then promoted, that won't be a problem.
There haven't been any brand-new courses launched since my last report, although there has been steady progress on the audit front. I am happy to report that a newly updated version of the Planets and Moons course has been uploaded, thanks to the awesome work of Lexic. The two Dark Brotherhood History courses have been revised and updated as well, thanks to Alishu, and are pending DC approval; I expect we'll get those uploaded within the next week or two.
Shadow Academy Staff are currently engaged in the following projects:
SW History Department Rewrite - Aabs & Farrin: Because of the evil Darth Mickey, my beloved Galactic History courses aren't fully canon anymore. The courses are being pared down (almost in half) and will be added to the Legends Department. I said last report this would be done by this report, and I missed the mark slightly there. However, I'd estimate we're at about 80% completion on this. Estimated completion: August, 2016
DJB History I & II Update/Rewrite - Alishu: Alishu has completed first drafts of both courses and they've been sent to the DC for approval. There are some changes in canon that we need to work through, but these should be published shortly. Estimated completion: End of July, 2016
The Dreaded... AUDIT! (non-SW courses) - PROFs/DOCs, Farrin & Ood: The non-Star Wars courses will be audited for accuracy, typos, etc. Exams are going to be reconfigured and updated. Ood and I have run into some RL slowdown that is pushing this back a bit, but our PROFs are stepping up to the plate. This will be done by the next report. Expected Completion: August, 2016
The Dreaded... AUDIT! (SW courses) - PROFs/DOCs, Marcus, Alishu, Rhace: The Star Wars-based courses will be audited for accuracy, typos, etc. Exams are going to be reconfigured and updated. This work has already begun by our awesome staff, and I think we're on track for my original expected completion. Expected Completion: September, 2016
Operation Remodel - SA Staff: In an effort to streamline the organization of the Shadow Academy and make it easier to initially get to information and then to find similar information, the SA will see a fairly extensive reorganization. The audit takes precedence, but expect to see more about this later on this summer. Because of the delays in the audit, this has been pushed back slightly. Expected Start: 8/2016; Expected Completion: 9/2016
Operation Prereq - Farrin: In order to make a more focused new member experience, different options are going to be explored to create prerequisite courses before other courses open up to a member. This is on the back burner for now, as the SA Staff has more pressing matters (y'know, the stuff above this item) and it'll require some tweaks on the coding end. Expect more info on this over the summer as well. Expected Start: Unknown; Expected Completion: Also unknown. :)
That's of course not all we're working on. There are a bunch of other exciting things I'm hoping to get completed this summer. Man, it's a great time to be in the Shadow Academy!
Top Exam Takers
|Name||# of Exams||# of ACs|
|Neophyte C'thulu Xinthani||20||7|
|Neophyte Kade Jinnth||15||10|
|Proselyte Arivasha Ravenheart||11||2|
Note: these numbers cover the period from 6/12/16 to 7/12/16.
The Shadow Academy covers tens if not hundreds of thousands of words, and those words were written by imperfect humans (GASP!). We try our best to catch and fix any and all errors before we release courses, but we're not always successful. Because of that, we will always need your help. If you spot an error, please report it to the SA Staff using this simple form; if it's a major enough error, or you spot enough, you'll be rewarded. At the very least, you'll get the thanks of a grateful HM... that's got to count for something, right?
In Darkness -
Headmaster of the Shadow Academy
I wanted to get some updates out, mainly as I’ve had a new staff in place for a week now as we put some finishing touches on the big data upload for possessions and I start to line up the next set of projects. So I’ll go over some updates from the...
I wanted to get some updates out, mainly as I’ve had a new staff in place for a week now as we put some finishing touches on the big data upload for possessions and I start to line up the next set of projects. So I’ll go over some updates from the past month mainly.
Voice Staff Updates
I want to reiterate again how smoothly things ran with Arden and Xen on the staff as Magistrates and thank them again for all their hard work this past year. That said, I have moved forward and extended offers to join the staff to Aiden Lee Deshra and Kordath Bleu d’Tana and both have accepted and already joined the team as Magistrates. They’re already getting well up to speed and I expect that they will be processing things within the month and everything will be moving along. I look forward to working with both of them throughout the rest of this year and into next as we see some possessions all dialed in as well as a host of currently ambiguous or not so well defined policies.
Species: The Muun species is available now in the selector and can be found here on the wiki. This was actually added a while ago as the Dark Council worked with Arcona to get an NPC created for a competition, but documentation is now complete. Aside from this, we currently have open requests to review adding Devaronian and Thissipasian but are considering this along with a comprehensive policy update as brought about by confusion the last time we approved a species. We are monitoring demand for these species and hope that we can get this along soon. This is in addition to a wider sweep of species by A’lora that we’re taking a look at to help speed up future decision making.
Default Lore Topics: These have been updated on the site, and everyone’s Character Sheets. For reference, this is under the Lore for topics your character knows just by default for being part of the galactic community. Outside your character, it helps you not need to think about what you might know that your character doesn’t when considering the events of the films. So now New Jedi Order isn’t a topic your character knows anything about, instead your character will have 2 topics: ‘The history of the modern era including the New Republic and post-Galactic Concordance conflicts.’ and ‘The history of the Galactic Civil War including the Alliance to Restore the Republic and the Galactic Empire.’
Artifact Review: Over the past month lists from the Consuls of the artifacts their Clans recognized came trickling in and I have a complete list now. Along with a new policy that will cover the creation of, the maintenence of, use of, and disposition of artifacts, it will seek to fold these items into the new possessions system so they officially exist. The Grand Master is looking at how he wants to approach this and will likely make a decision during beta sometime before launch on what to do. Once I have a peer reviewed artifact policy done, I’ll extend to the Dark Summit for comment before moving forward with anything officially.
INQ I Have a List of People: I continue to enjoy reading all the entries that members submit to this competition, as the second of this series. It’s obvious many characters don’t take kindly to Darth Pravus’ actions and there are about twice as many spies in the Inquisitorius ranks than loyal Inquisitors coming from the ranks of the Clans. Either way, I think it’s a great way for characters to get engaged in the plot and themes in these fictions help set the tone for future fiction updates and events so I really appreciate everyone who takes the effort to submit. For reference there is a 3rd running now titled INQ - Imagine Me And You.
Iconic Character Sheets - Emperor Palpatine: Atra is running a competition here, to create a Character Sheet for Emperor Palpatine. It runs up through the end of July and gives you a chance to think about the behavior and traits of a well known Star Wars character.
Possessions: Thank you to everyone who I approached over the past few months with questions, comments, ideas, thoughts, or concerns to help pull together a massive powerpoint documentation on the design of possessions and an extensive google doc list of items and experience review. We are about to take the second huge step forward in possessions and start to really build up the structure in the coming months and start testing. Personally, my next steps focus around Aspects and Feats for items going into this first beta while James does his coding stuff, Vyr does his graphics stuff and Mav helps put a team together to make some official decisions on the member experience. Then the second beta will start and include everyone in the Brotherhood. The reasons for the limits early are frankly just time and energy and documentation and need to stay focused. By second beta the entire possessions system should be well documented on the wiki with policies and everything in place to lift the veil on the whole thing but doing all that work with so many pieces undefined would be a waste of energy at this point. If you have any specific questions feel free to find me on telegram.
Telegram DJB Fiction Chat: I have created a DJB Fiction Chat. It came up a while ago and I hesitated but as we discuss policies and member experience and try and make things transparent I think a channel makes sense at this point to at least try out since supergroups are a thing. The main goal of this chat is to discuss realism as it relates to the DJB and what is Canon since it doesn’t entirely line up with Star Wars Canon, as well a story and character development and the ongoing plot. Also, a more straightforward place to ask the Voice questions since I don’t host anything similar to that on Telegram although I’m always approachable. Atra and the staff will help moderate this and keep it on topic so it's valuable to members seeking answers, and we will see how it goes. I'll add a link in the comments.
Voice Staff Links
- Antei Combat Center
- Character Sheet Approval Guidelines
- Weapon Selection Guide
- Voice Competition Approval Guidelines
- Cluster of Ice
- Standard Fiction Grading Rubric
I’ve really been head down on getting possessions to a point where many more people can start working on it to clear some of the major bottlenecks. With that done, and a new staff in place, I hope to see some focus on the fiction writing community, tools, visibility, and policies, and start to define some things. As always I’m always open to comments or suggestions and look forward to a lot of enjoyable storytelling the second half of this year.
Voice of the Brotherhood
In which James talks about recent changes to the site, copy/pastes a change-log, and talks about upcoming coding-related things on the horizon. Hi all, It's that time again! About time for another report from your friendly neighbourhood...
In which James talks about recent changes to the site, copy/pastes a change-log, and talks about upcoming coding-related things on the horizon.
Hi all, It's that time again! About time for another report from your friendly neighbourhood Seneschal with the latest ins and outs related to the site.
Deployed Code Changes
Below is a list of most of the code check-ins done to the site since my last report. This isn't an exhaustive list, and does not contain code changes that have not yet been deployed to the main website or code changes that do not relate to the site at all, most notably code related to the FIST Telegram bot. Here's the TLDR:
- Updates to the PvP Gaming Submission page to mirror the changes in PvE/PvO.
- Change to a full approval flow (like competitions) including remanding, withdrawing, and editing of remanded/unsubmitted/withdrawn entries
- You can now specify a competition and quantity for each individual participant. This means that it is now possible for each participant to have their activity count to a different competition.
- Visual cleanup
- API endpoints for the FIST bot to hook into
- Possessions preparations
- Various miscellaneous fixes and tweaks
James Entar: Add rank column to Competition Participation tab of Unit Metrics Link Custom Robe Form Link to ACC battle from timeout reminder mail Rename Jar'Kai Niman to Jar'Kai Allow YouTube embedding in SA course notes Update Martial Arts Allow cloning sheets with invalid martial arts Refactor PvP submissions: Allow different competitions for each participant; allow remands; general clean-up; preparations for new FIST bot SA exam export feature Navbar update Update Dark Maven: Combat requirements Small PvP bugfixes Fix typo in canned promo recc Fix weird cakeday calendar bug with people joining on leap days Add provenance info to HRLD assets Accidentally revoked too many permissions last commit Refine HRLD permissions Fix small bug in PvP matches Chat page with TG join links Put guard on Manual Bulk Award to prevent Nero from bunch-awarding a bunch of Golden Lightsabers Update CS Linguistics section Update ACC resources dropdown FIST bot API prep ACC Elo bug fix Misc small tweaks Small bugfix Update Combat Maven requirements Various competition-related tweaks Show Markdown Preview of news in full-width modal Fix a bug that caused an error on the competition show page for people with no timezone set Update Art Community TG link Bugfix related to trying to join with an existing e-mail address Various Possessions tweaks Fix copy/paste error CS default lore topics Update some links on ACC landing page and CS wizard
On the Horizon
This section provides some sneak previews of upcoming site changes and the larger things on the Seneschal Office's todo-list in various stages of completion, in no particular order.
TG-o-Matic and Gaming Submission Overhaul
This project involves the implementation of a Telegram-based Gaming matchmaking bot, as well as augmenting the gaming submission flow in such a way that it will become possible for each participant in a PvP or PvE/PvO submission to specify the competition they want the submission to count towards, as opposed to specifying a single competition for the entire submission. The PvE, PvO and PvP sections of the site have been overhauled, and the Telegram-based FIST bot is currently being tested - message @DJBFistBot to try it out and/or help test, and check out Pravus' news post below for a full description of its features. Once sufficiently tested, the IRC-based matchmaking bot will be retired, and the Telegram-based one will take over.
An effort to expand the number of competition archetypes available, and to give each archetype a specifically tailored administration interface. Currently on hold due to other items having priority. The final stages of this project involve adding features to Container Competitions to automatically aggregate participants and/or placements from child competitions based on various configurable formulae and scoring methods. I'm also still taking requests for additional archetypes, though so far interest appears to be low.
Status: Prepping beta
Please refer to Pravus' latest report for more information on Possessions.
Random Bugfixes and Things That Come Up™
Status: Neverending A wild Dark Council member appeared. It uses Feature Request! [FIGHT][ITEM][PKMN][RUN]
Again, lots of fixes and additions to the site, and even more interesting things to come. As always, if you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to either e-mail me or throw in a comment.
James L. Entar
Seneschal of the Brotherhood
Greetings everyone and welcome to my #46.5th report as your Grand Master. I forgot a huge portion of my report yesterday and wanted to ensure it received the attention it deserves. Prophet James Lucius Entar Arconae has designed and built a...
Greetings everyone and welcome to my #46.5th report as your Grand Master. I forgot a huge portion of my report yesterday and wanted to ensure it received the attention it deserves.
Prophet James Lucius Entar Arconae has designed and built a wonderful new addition to the Dark Brotherhood. This addition is our very new and shiny Gaming Competition Bot. I asked James and Val several months ago to update our mIRC bot and basically said "me want automated b0t". James took this outdated mIRC model and made us something wonderful on Telegram. The details:
The new Matchmaking Bot (or Fist-O-Matic Telegram Edition) is the next iteration of the Brotherhood's Matchmaking tool. Rewritten from the ground up to support Telegram, it features new features in addition to all the functionality that already existed in the IRC bot. Some of these new additions include:
Competition Queuing: The bot allows queuing for a specific competition, meaning that you have a choice to either be matched up with people playing the same competition only; or have the bot prefer to match you up with people playing the same competition before moving on to 'random' opponents. Note that choosing to queue exclusively for a single competition will prevent your match from counting towards Gaming Nights PoBs.
Retry Options: In case of a failed match-up (for example due to one participant not being able to connect to a game, or due to game server outages), the bot allows you to choose between not matching you up again with your opponent at all that day, or to allow trying again later if you get matched up again.
Easy authentication: No more copy/pasting of codes to log in, and once you are authenticated, you will remain authenticated.
Full Telegram-integration: The new bot makes use of various Telegram-specific features that make interacting with the bot easier than ever: Nearly everything can be controlled using the mouse or touch-screen, and only on rare occasions are slash commands needed.
Less Spam: Most of the interaction with the bot is done using private messages, reducing a lot of spam in the Gaming Lounge channel.
Fallback options: To ensure the bot keeps working even during temporary DJB site outages.
What we need from all of you is to help test out the b0t and identify any bugs you may find. This will help James and the Fist Team make it a better system for all of us.
Please take the time to thank James for his tremendous work on this project. I'd make him a Sith Lord for it, but he already is a Sith Lord. So, everyone pat him on the back and tell him thank you. :p
Greetings everyone and welcome to my #46th report as Grand Master of the Dark Brotherhood. We have a lot of great work taking place and I'll attempt to highlight club wide changes headed your way. TLDR for the lazy: * Possessions: Updates and...
Greetings everyone and welcome to my #46th report as Grand Master of the Dark Brotherhood. We have a lot of great work taking place and I'll attempt to highlight club wide changes headed your way. TLDR for the lazy:
- Possessions: Updates and Beta Plans
- Possessions: Clan Artifacts and Fleets
- Character Sheets: Non-Force User Disciplines
- Wiki: Format Updates and Personal Ship Removal
- Fiction: Update 2.0
- Fiction: Antei 2.0
- Tribune Recruitment: Open for Applications
- DGM's Overwatch Party: Sunday
- Final Thoughts: Darth Logistics
1) The Dark Council, led by the Voice of the Brotherhood, has recently finished their 1083rd item for our possessions system. These items fill ten different possession slots, range across five different quality levels, will be sold in ten unique stores, and utilize a value system that is unique to the Dark Brotherhood. Keeping track of these items, updating their costs, updating their descriptions, and having a GM randomly tell you to remove a bunch of them is a tough task. Please take the time to thank Evant/James/Bubba/Vyr/Atra for the tremendous amount of work and editing they have provided to our club.
2) The next phase of Possessions development will be the mass upload of spreadsheet data, images, and the in-website creation of stores. The following are a few examples of the type of images, data points, and already developed website systems we will be using:
You can see from the images above that we will have ranged weapons, melee weapons, ships, and also the all important Clan level military possessions (more on that below).
-> <- -> <- -> <- -> <- -> <-
Besides seeing that Ninj interrupted my screenshot, you can see that there is a lot of data input, item tracking, and cost analysis that has gone into this project. I wanted to show these brief snapshots to ensure everyone that there is work behind the talk (:p). You can also see the bare-bones store system that we will begin to update following our mass data upload. Also these are beta based calculations if something ends up wazoo, we will fix it.
3) We are scheduled to begin uploading data this Friday and throughout the weekend. We will announce our Beta invitations via email once this is complete. Our intended target audience for the Beta is a wide swath of ranks, experience levels, and member agreeability. That is not a type, we will be picking from a pool of members who are generally very positive and also generally very negative/combative. This will ensure we have a fair degree of skepticism/hatred for the project. :p
Possessions: Fleets and Artifacts
1) The Iron Legion/Stormtrooper image above is an indication that we intend on having Clans purchase their military from within the new possessions system. This means we will conduct Fleet Reset 3.0 following the release of possessions. Mav and I are currently working with Evant and the Consuls to determine a system for how we will purchase these items, but I want to be completely honest. I am leaning towards a very aggressive reset of values associated with the current fleets. Our fleet system is based on years of resets that incorporated past ship awards that have varied greatly in their fairness. This ranged from someone receiving a ship because they wrote a good report to a Clan receiving a ship for winning a GJW. In other words, I truly believe that building a system upon already flawed systems is not the way to go. So....I'm working with all interested DC and Clan types on what will be the most fair (maybe not fair, but the most fair) for everyone involved.
2) I have also decided that Clan artifacts will become a part of the possessions system. Evant and I have recently request each Clans artifact list and have scrubbed it for Vampire Masquerade, Warhammer, Game of Thrones, and other near-plagiarism fueled items. Bottom line....we have some insane items on the books that will either be adjusted significantly or removed entirely. I plan on pitching the collective Consuls on a replacement plan within the coming weeks.
These last two points sound a little negative, but that is not my intent. Bringing our fleets and artifacts inline with the new possession system will streamline and solidify processes and systems that have been informal at best. While I am always cognizant of taking away something you "earned", I am equally cognizant that we have earned various things over the year (I have a G.D. light mace....a light mace. Light mace. It has shooty lightsabers...coming out of a ball.) that might not be in our vision for moving forward.
Character Sheets: NFU Disciplines
1) Wally and his band of merry ACC folks (Abby, Turel, Alaris, Mav, Sarin (just complaining), Arden) have been hard at work on an awesome new array of NFU disciplines. These disciplines will bring very iconic Star Wars archetypes to our club. The scoundrel, the ace, and the scavenger will all make their debut. Wally has done a great job of adding known characters to the disciplines and selecting one should be easy for our members.
2) The new NFU Disciplines will arrive on my desk some time this week for final approval and then we should see their release shortly after. Please take the time to thank Wally-Cat and his team.
Wiki: Ship Formatting and Personal Ship Tagging
1) Slagar has begun working on our Ship Formatting to bring it more in line with non-Xwing video game terminology as well as Wookiepedia style formatting. This effort began on 19 June and has already completed (minus maybe one or two that were hidden). In simple terminology we will now transition the SSD Suffering to Suffering. If we ever had another ship named Suffering, the articles could be Suffering (Imperial-class) and Suffering (Executor-class).
2) A part of Slagar's wiki ship updates will also include the tagging of all personal ships utilized by our members. Those ships will become non-DB canon upon the release of possessions. Slagar has reached out to the active members who have wiki-based personal ships and everyone has been notified of the pending policy transition. We appreciate everyone's understanding on this matter.
Fiction Update: 2.0
1) I am super stoked that our first fiction update has had such a tremendous impact on our Clans and more importantly on our members. I mean, we had people commission art that showed the Inquisitors coming for them. That is awesome! It is also the type of fiction that we want to release moving forward because it has a new and real impact across the club.
2) Fiction update 2.0 is nearing its completion after a series of "who cares about this nonsense" style revisions. I anticipate releasing the fiction prior to 17 July. The update will include the tragic death of a Dark Side legend, retribution for those Inquisitors that think killing Jedi/Krath/Obbies are a suggestion, Clan political drama, and of course a tad bit of Grand Master insanity. Oh, and the Suffering might blow up. TBD on that.
Fiction Update: Antei 2.0
1) The new DJB System is in major revisions as I have just settled on a new name (Arx) and a new design for the entire planet. The system will be released via a member based chose your own adventure scavenger hunt that will take place via an invisible announcement on the website. The member who finds the new system will be credited with sweet DB Canon based glory. Like fiction 2.0, I intend on releasing this update in the next 10 days pending Mav's review of my silly writing.
Recruitment Tribune: Open for Applications
1) Yacks has done a phenomenal job as our Recruitment Tribune over the past year. His work across Social Media platforms has been highlighted in my past reports (Facebook analytics) and is worthy of all of our thanks. Yacks utilized mutliple automated systems that pushed the DJB name out across the internet and made us a lot more recognizable than we were in the past. I am tremendously grateful for all that Yack has done (Long Overdue Promotion from Feb for our club.
2) Unfortunately, Yacks is retiring to be a possessions guru and drink beer. Therefore we are looking (although not set) on appointing a new T:R. This is a demanding position. A position that people have failed out horribly. Therefore, we are looking for someone with real work Social Media promotion and organizational promotion experience. Please submit an application to Mav and I detailing your experience in this field as well as providing examples of how your previous work has benefited an organization with tangible results. If we do not receive suitable applicants, I may determine that the T:R position is no longer needed and place it as an additional duty under an existing Dark Council position. In other words...if you want this job...come big. Applications are due NLT 1 August 2016.
DGM Party: Overwatch on Sunday
1) Mav assures me that Overwatch is worth playing and that we have a tremendous PC community that plays. This community will meet on Sunday at 2PM Eastern Time. Please contact Mav with any questions you may have about playing and assassin with a shiny butt or a rastafarian on roller blades (really Blizzard, really?).
Okay, my apologies for a bit of a break in reporting. I have these awesome plans of reporting a planet update, fiction update, and the possessions release simultaneously, but often that is just an excuse not to write a report (:p). The DC has been kicking ass lately and I am extremely pleased by their performance. I have been in this club a long time, but I have never seen a team that operates like Vyr/James/Evant/Aabs/Mav and the rest of the team. Even the Praetors are exceptionally pro-active and influential in the club. I think a lot of that is owed to Telegram (gasp) and the advantages it has brought to our club.
I am also continuing to reflect on the work our current DC is performing and the potential for a new DC position to handle Possessions/Fleets/Artifacts. Evant has taken on these duties because he is quite frankly very good at it and has done it better than anyone else. The only problem is that the Voice position is not designed for these roles and it takes Evant away from fiction related pursuits (that is not his fault, I tasked him with possessions). So, we should have some clarity on what I want to do with this potential new position by August of this year. Right now...I'm teetering towards creating a new position (Lord 7/11). If we do create this position..it will be painful...very very painful. The initial possessions release and subsequent possessions balancing (you know it will happen) will require a member that is basically a business owner/manager that has OCD like skills (or a professional logistician). Its not a job for everyone.
Outside of the updates above, I want to notify that club that I will be moving to Germany for the next six months. This will mean I am on James/Sildrin/Vyr time and not Monty/Drac US West time. At present I do not foresee any issues with this little move, but if there are complications I will simply hand the club off to Mav...who could be the GM today, let alone a year from now (:p). I don't think that will happen, but trust that we do have a plan if I end up engaged in Octoberfest too much!
That is it from the top. I appreciate everyone's participation in our great club and appreciate the fact that we have all been getting along wonderfully over the past year (check that JST docket!). As always, I'm available via email, telegram, text, or whatever. I log onto mirc every once in a while and watch hours of no message traffic...so you'll have a hard time finding me there :p
- I know there are weird little arrows on my report. James or someone can fix it. They are breaking my brain.
Warning, This news post contains spoilers. Expand it to view the full post.
Big news for the next installment of the Star Wars universe to grace the silver screen tonight. It seems that Disney has decided to mark the opening of Celebration 2016 by releasing a trailer for Rogue One to go along with it. News surrounding the first standalone film has been flying around the interwebs of late, including an excellent photo spread on Entertainment Weekly. Be warned, it contains some spoilers for the film.
As for the trailer itself, it will drop sometime during the hour long airing of Secrets of the Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey which is slated to air at Friday July 15th, 8PM EST on the Disney Owned ABC Network.
For a more in depth look at all the spoilers available for Rogue One, you can also head over to the EW Mega Hub for all news relating to the upcoming feature.