Google+

FIST Report Supplemental #4.2: Pazaak Changes

Pazaak Changes

Good afternoon. Based off the comments provided on the website (30 comments on a report is a record for any report I’ve ever done) and via email, it's clear to me that a cluster reward reduction is the only way to mitigate the Turbo Pazaak phenomenon. Some comments were well thought out. Others were not. But the simple fact is, I can't validate whether or not a side-deck was utilized or if people are simply hammering on the "end turn" button and letting RNGesus take the wheel.

That said...

Pazaak IS the lowest common denominator for gaming. While a cluster reward reduction is necessary to bring the time per cluster reward balance in line for those who wish to play “Turbo Pazaak”, a heavy-handed nerf does have the potential to do more harm than good.

The original nerf was based off of a 25% reduction ( dropping to .33 CFs per match). I have decided to lighten that nerf a little bit more to a 20% reduction, or .4 CFs per match. This makes the game worth playing for those who only have Pazaak as their gaming option, while at the same time adjusting the reward due to the speed at which the game can now be played.

So as of now, Turbo Pazaak is allowed. Cluster rewards have been adjusted to reflect this. The win/loss modifiers and PvP score modifier remain unchanged.

div

To address the other elephant in the room: Pazaak’s utilization for PvP score, Vendettas, and GJW events.

A common thread throughout this process is that the overwhelming majority of the DB seems to agree that Pazaak has no place in determining the winner of club-wide events.

I do not disagree.

Follow on analysis by my staff will focus on Pazaak's utilization in Vendettas and GJWs, and a potential replacement for the game altogether. The rules for replacing Pazaak are pretty basic: The game must be

• 100% free
  • easy to learn
  • playable on all platforms
  • a true 1v1 PvP platform.

We're working through options now, and hope to have something available for testing in the next month or so. I challenge the club at large to provide viable options that meet the above criteria should they find them. No, I don’t think internet chess or checkers is a viable option. If you find a game that shows promise, email me and my staff [Log in to view e-mail addresses].

I don't think Pazaak will ever go away, as it is truly the most basic game our members can play in order to earn gaming credit in this club. Until a suitable replacement is found, it’s the game we have. I fully intend to retain it unless something just as easy to learn and playable by the masses is found. I might retain it anyway, considering it is hands-down the most played game in the DJB.

Thanks to all for your comments, support, and understanding during this process.

header

pazaak gmrg djb gaming starwars

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 at 10:52 PM
Andrelious vindictive

Thank you for taking the time to think this over, Drac.

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 at 10:57 PM
Maricktar new1

Thanks for putting in the legwork here, Drac!

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 at 10:59 PM
New avatar

Does "low or no cost" fall under those requirements to a replacement for pazaak? Does cost factor into the decision in some way?

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 at 11:02 PM

I think Free is applied here for any replacement for our only 100% free game

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 at 11:06 PM
Image

@locke no cost. I meant for that to be a requirement. updating post now.

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 at 11:10 PM
Djb avatar

Well done. I think this is a perfect solution for the issue at hand. Thanks for putting in your time and listening to all the input!

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 at 11:19 PM
Tarvitz avatar

That seems fair overall, thank you.

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 at 11:36 PM
Jurdan1

I would like to submit this platform. I have tried to get people to use it in the past and unlike pazaak you get to choose your decks imperial or rebel and customize them how you like. The server is pretty stable and me and Kordath used to play this.

This is a flash version of the SW CCG. I have had lots of fun with it. It has directions to learn it and it pretty much walks you through each step to the gaming process. Its also always being updated. Also there is a video tutorial right on the page.

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 at 11:57 PM
Image

@Jurdan need you to submit a proper proposal to the email Inprovided in the report.

Posted on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:28 AM
Lilith 100x100 avatar

Glad to hear that Pazaak is staying, it's a game I really enjoy and that and ja are the only two I understand. I'm not a gamer.

Posted on Jan 8, 2017 at 1:25 AM
Uji small

Nicely done by the Fist staff

Posted on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:19 AM
Thanadd db %281%29

Haven't played this yet. Will be checking it out now!

Posted on Jan 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM

Thank you for taking the time to think this all out, and though I don't agree with the use of turbo for this game, I will abide by the ruling and not throw a wobbler over it.

I do feel that there may be a problem with those of us who play it as it's meant to be played finding partners for the game against the quickie CF gobblers. Prior to queuing, when the question is asks "Who wants to play?" and the first response is "Turbo?" If the answer is no then that person is out luck until they find another purest.

I guess time will tell if this becomes an issue or not.

Posted on Jan 8, 2017 at 5:34 PM
Image

See the wiki. You have to agree on the match type/settings.