Let us now observe the inner workings of the Brotherhood itself. In this lecture, we will consider leadership and the intricate organizational system that makes this club function at peak efficiency. We will consider leadership on all levels, ranging from the superstructure to the lowest subcategory.
The basic structure of the Brotherhood works on a descending scale of responsibility:
From Battleteam Leaders to the Grand Master, every leader within the Brotherhood is appointed to help create the best experience possible for club members within their sphere of influence.
We will now take a closer look at each level of leadership, the positions that support those structures, and those leaders' respective roles.
2. Brotherhood Leadership
2.1 Dark Council
The Dark Council is the highest tier of leadership in our club. It consists of the Grand Master, his deputy and a selection of councillors tasked with running specific aspects of the Brotherhood.
- Grand Master [GM]: This is the highest position inside the club. The Grand Master runs and oversees the functioning of the Brotherhood and makes sure we run smoothly and efficiently.
- Deputy Grand Master [DGM]: The Deputy Grand Master assists the Grand Master in his tasks and performs his duties in his absence.
- Headmaster [HM]: This position is tasked with running the Shadow Academy, our primary institute of learning. The Headmaster is in charge of a cadre of Professors and Docents, as well as the usual Praetor and Magistrates, who all work to improve the experience of those that visit the academy.
- Master At Arms [MAA]: The Master at Arms carries the burden of enforcing (and often developing) the standards and procedures for requests and changes within the Brotherhood. Every request for promotions, medals, transfers, order changes, name changes, appointments and removals pass through the MAA’s office. The MAA is also responsible for approving the creation and placements of competitions.
- Herald [HRLD]: The Herald is tasked with the graphic side of the Brotherhood. He and his staff create the robes, sabers and warbanners you see depicted on dossier pages.
- Seneschal [SCL]: The Seneschal is tasked with maintaining the website, database and many of the Brotherhood’s communication channels. If you get an error message while on the site, if you think the site is malfunctioning, or even if you believe the site is down, contact the Seneschal.
- Justicar [JST]: The Justicar is the chief judicial officer of the Brotherhood and heads the Chamber of Justice. It is his role to interpret the Covenant and uphold the laws and regulations of the Brotherhood. This position exists to ensure the protection of members’ rights, to minimize internal strife and to bring a general sense of stability and security to the club.
- Voice of the Brotherhood [VOICE]: As the leader of the Fiction Society, the Voice oversees the development of the Brotherhood’s vast fictional systems. Some of the Voice’s responsibilities include: assisting in the development of story arcs for the Brotherhood at large, overseeing the character sheet system, developing and running regular fiction competitions, supporting the Regent with technical writing and integrations with the possessions system and working alongside the Combat Master.
- Fist of the Brotherhood [FIST]: The Fist oversees all gaming activities, procedures and policies within the club. Included among the Fist’s duties are: developing gaming activities across all platforms, approving gaming competitions, enforcing the Rites of Combat, leading the Grand Master’s Royal Guard, and seeking out new gaming platforms to serve the interests of the Brotherhood’s membership.
- Regent [RGT]: The owner and manager of all the possessions-related systems, structures and balance. The Regent is primarily tasked with keeping the possessions experience fun and engaging for members and up to date with Canon content. The Regent works to add new items and engaging experiences to the systems while documenting every aspect of the system for a consistent experience going forward.
2.2 Tribunes and Society Leaders
While Tribunes and Society Leaders are not considered members of the Dark Council due largely to their limited scope of responsibility, they do maintain an important auxiliary role to the council. While principal Dark Councillors may not serve within a Clan, Tribunes and Society Leaders are free to maintain their membership within their unit of choice.
- Wiki Tribune [T:W]: This Tribune, aided by his staff, oversees our DJBWiki and everything to do with it. Fictionally, he is the Keeper of the Holocrons.
- Social Media Tribune [T:SM]: This Tribune oversees and operates all of the official DJB social media accounts.
- Combat Master [CM]: This is the head of the Antei Combat Centre society. He runs everything to do with the ACC and oversees the work of its staff and judges.
2.3 Dark Council Staff
The Dark Council staff consists of the support personnel of the Dark Councillors. The highest position in this group is that of Praetor [P:...]. The Praetor is the main lieutenant of their assigned leader. They aid the Councillor in all his duties and often work overseeing large scale projects. One step down is the Magistrate [M:...]. In a way, this member is quite similar to the Praetor with one difference: a Magistrate is usually assigned to oversee a specific detail of the Councillor’s duties. For example, the MAA may have a Magistrate dedicated specifically to the awarding of Dark Crosses and Journeyman promotions. This M:MAA only works to approve or deny these requests, allowing the MAA and his Praetor to focus on other matters.
Then we come to specific support posts. These are linked to specific subgroups/organisations and answer to a specific Dark Councillor. Let’s observe a few examples: The Hands of Justice [LHoJ and RHoJ] serve as the aides to the Justicar; the Combat Master has Judges who answer to him; and the Headmaster has a cadre of Professors [PROF] and Docents [DOC] to help him run the SA.
3. Clan Leadership
Clan leadership is divided between three people. A Consul [CON] leads a clan with the help of their deputy, the Proconsul [PCON]. These members are tasked with maintaining their unit, developing it fictionally and overseeing the sub-structures within their clan (i.e. the House). The Rollmaster [RM] is the closest contact a new member has amongst their leaders. As such, they are tasked with supporting and mentoring members through the Journeymen ranks, as well as with pairing students and masters.
4. House Leadership
House leadership consists of two people: the Quaestor [QUA] and his deputy, the Aedile [AED]. They are tasked with overseeing their units, keeping an overview of the activities of the Battleteams under their banner and making sure their units operate efficiently and properly.
5. Battleteam Leadership
This is the most basic unit in the Brotherhood. The battleteam consists of a group of active members led by a Battleteam Leader [BTL]. It is the task of the team leader to create and run competitions for the team and to award basic medals for activity.